This week’s Sunday School lesson about David and Saul started off with an unusual activity.
We made lemonade! Bitter Lemonade. It took 12 lemons to turn a jug of water into a bitter-tasting beverage. And it took three tablespoons of sugar to turn the bitter beverage into sweet and refreshing lemonade. That was the introduction to our Sunday School lesson about David and Saul, returning good for evil and choosing forgiveness over anger and hatred.
*The same idea can apply to a lesson on ‘Turning the other cheek”*
- The children gathered around a table to squeeze the fresh lemons.
- During the process, I asked them about their friendships and whether they had ever had any disagreements/fights with their friends.
- Most admitted that they had had falling outs with their friends.
- The conversation continued as we squeezed more lemons and stirred the jug.
- I asked them how they felt when they had had a fight.
- If the fight burdened their hearts,
- If they felt bitter?
- I poured a bit of the lemony water into their cups and asked them to taste it. Their beautiful faces contorted ever so slightly as they drank the acidic beverage.
- We continued the conversation, and the children started sharing their feelings and coping mechanisms.
- Then we added three tablespoons of sugar to the lemony water.
- Another round of tasting followed. The children preferred the taste this time around; some even asked for seconds.
The result of the Experiment:
I asked them if they realized how little sugar we needed to turn an entire jug of bitter, acidic water into a sweet beverage.
The same with forgiveness, I explained; it takes very little to turn a fight into reconciliation. David could have killed Saul TWICE, but he chose forgiveness.
He chose love.
He trusted in the Lord.
“For when the Lord delivered me into your hands, you did not kill me.” 1 Samuel 24:18
A spoonful of love is all that is needed to turn any bitterness into forgiveness.
Other Sunday School Lesson Plans You Might Like: Sunday School Treasure Hunt
Additional Coptic Resources on this topic: Saul’s jealousy of David
Like this post? Please share it:
Get your copy today!
Shop our Books & Products by clicking Here
Subscribe to our Newsletter: https://mireillemishriky.com/newsletter-form/
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mireillemishrikyauthor
I am on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/mireilleauthor/
Visit me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mireille_mishriky_author/
Books available on Amazon.com: https://amzn.to/3dkVWa2
Books are available on Amazon.ca: https://amzn.to/3A8MkZF